Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Eagle has Landed

The flight over was pretty damn good. British Airways really knows how to run an airline. The food was decent to good, there were silent babies, and of the various bodily overs that I encountered, they were not the most oppressive. I read a few chapters of my book, 'The Philosophy of Undeath: Chicken Soup for the Soulless,' and watched a couple of movies - Next, in which Nicholas Cage has the power to see 2 minutes into the future (unless you're the main love interest, in which case his powers are nigh infinite), and is called upon by the FBI to help find a nuclear device that was stolen by...Frenchmen, I guess. Wooden acting and neat special effects ensue. Overall enjoyable experience; Hot Fuzz, which peas and rice is a good movie. Anyone who's seen it knows that it's off the funking chain! I couldn't sleep on the plane, although I tried to. Too excited/anxious to do anything relaxed, really. By the end of the leg to Heathrow I was twitching a little bit. The second leg, to Tegel, was pretty much the same, although I was hungry enough to try and brave an egg salad and bacon brioche roll. Bad choice on my part.

The cab ride was interesting. The driver asked my where I was headed:
"Freie-Universitat (umlaut missing)"
"Ah! Teacher?"
"Nein, Student."
"Wohin kommst du? London?"
"Nein, America."
"Ah, USA! Wo? Washington? New York?"
"Nein, Boston."
"Ah, Basketball! (dribbling hand motions)."
"Ja!"

Most people at the building didn't know each other, although there are a lot of people from AU (somewhere approaching a dozen?). Skill level with German varies, so I don't feel so bad about being a beginner.

A few of us went to a kiosk down the street for some food. I got schnitzel with sunflower seed bread (can't remember the name). Gunther, the owner, was wicked nice, and talked with us as we ate. He said that he'd be glad to give us help with our German, and that he's do his best to remember our names. His wife was very nice also, but we didn't get to talk with her much, since she was at the register and cooking. I'm glad that the first Germans that I've met (although the cab driver was distinctly Turkish) were nice and helpful. Good omens and all that.

Right now, I'm waiting for my host family to pick me up. I'll probably just collapse once I get home and talk with them a little bit. Tomorrow is crazy busy; everyone is meeting at 9am at the Thielplatz station on the U-Bahn (subway) for orientation day 1/3.

Until next time.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck my little droog. Do well. Just make sure you get Numbers 1 and 4 accomplished, and the rest will take care of themselves.

mzbliz said...

Pay no attention to your big brother. He's just jealous you get to talk to Turkish taxi drivers and eat schnitzel on the street.

Lori said...

I enjoy your exchange with your cab driver. Basketball. ^^ I wonder what he would have said if you'd been from Chicago? I'm thinking either Michael Jordan or mobsters. I hope you're having a good time. We miss you over here!

- Lori

Robert Hagelstein said...

Boston? Ah! REDSOX! Perhaps that is to much to ask for. I'm trying to get back into shape with my German before school starts. And yeah, British Airways rocks. When I was leaving South Africa, we were suppose to fly back on South African Airways, but they were on strike. British Airways bailed us out and the ride was really nice.
Glück in Deutchland!

Grandma said...

Happy that you seem settled in and that your family host have turned out to be so pleasant. Use your German, no matter how poor, enjoy it all, study hard and stay well, and KEEP UP YOUR BLOG, I LOVE It.

All my love,

Grandma

Grandma said...

A second note to you today. Lucky you!! Only because my first one didn't go through. There is a nice young woman (50) who moved into our building, and she came up and showed me how. So, hopefully I can do it now.

Love your info. The weather here is HOT - 85 and above. So enjoy it there. Again, Love, Grandma

Grandma said...

Tried to send you a note on your e-mail, with no success. You must have a new address for Germany. Would appreciate your sending me the new address, also, your hosts home address.

Sib, your great-great aunt thought it was fabulous and wanted to send you a note, also. So when you get a chance, mail me, o.k.? Love Grandma

Grandma said...

What a trip! You really are living the life of Reilly or Blizard - what an experience!! I'm glad you made it out alive! And is the beer really warm? You certainly are having the opportunity to try them all. Do you like beer? It would be a shame if you didn't -

Did you have any chaperones with you? and did they even care what you kids did? or they just assume you are adults and can take care of yourselves. You seem to be doing o.k., but just remember it's a tough world out there whether or not it's the good old USA or Germany.

However, you seem to be having a ball, and that's good, but when do you have time to do any studying?

I bet your German gets better by the day - so enjoy it all and absorb it all.

I, also, thought Germany was beautiful and clean, clean, clean.

Stay well and have a ball, as you already are! Love ya - grandma

Grandma said...

Most important, forgot to mention the picture of you. LOVED IT! Send more whenever.

Stay well. Love, again, Grandma

Grandma said...

I'm enjoying your blog immensely. You are having one helluva good time - your are studying, yes?

Also, did you ever meet up with your partner, and how did that work out? O.k., I hope. Keep up the good work, and again, enjoy it all. You will remember this time the rest of your life. What an opportunity and challenge!! Love, Grandma