Sunday, August 26, 2007

Let's see what this baby can do.

My name is Geoffrey Risque Blizard, and I am going to fly out to Berlin in little more than a day. Once there, I'll be living with a host family, the Lennerts, and taking classes at the Free University in Berlin, along with somewhere between 60 to 100 other students, not all of whom are from AU. I don't really know anyone on this trip, aside from some of the people that were in my Beginner German course freshman year, but past being in the same class, we never talked. When I land in Berlin, I could very likely be all alone as I make my way to the program building (or I could spot another American by their age and luggage).

You might be wondering about the title of this blog, so I'll explain. At an information meeting for AU students in this program, the coordinator asked each of us to say one thing that we wanted to do or accomplish while abroad. My answer was "I want to see some castles;" most other people said something to the effect of "I want to learn German" or "I want to meet new people." Unoriginal, no?

I'll be updating this blog with the goings on during my semester abroad, and my thoughts as well. Here's hoping that I can get some good pictures, stories, and musings to put in this thing.

Here's my top 5 things I want to do abroad, in no particular order:
1. See some castles.
2. Travel frequently.
3. Become a stronger individual.
4. Meet new people.
5. Learn German.

3 comments:

Jarboe said...

Very cute first entry, let me know when the jetlag starts to wear off and we can talk at obnoxious hours of the night (probably on my half) about how awesome Germany is.

Grandma said...

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Keep up the posting; we're all vicariously enjoying your adventure. I'm sure your German will improve with daily use, not that it will do me any good - I never took German in school. You'd have to translate it into English or Spanish for me!

Have a great semester - miss you.

Aunt Paula

Sibi said...

A surprise message from your
great-aunt Sibi in San Francisco. Wie geht's? What a great experience! Viel glück! I was able to get the ümlaut (is that correct?) with clicking on Alt-0252. My e-mail address is
sfsylco@sbcglobal.net just in case you have a spare minute to drop me a line or two hundred.
Love...Sibi