Thursday, October 4, 2007

Back from Luckau, Going to Prague

I tried to load this up yesterday, but something went wrong.

I was expecting some sort of Unification Day celebration in Luckau, but instead there was a Harvest Festival/Historical Festival (Literally, a 'thanksgiving' festival). I guess that Berliners care more about unification than most Germans. There were assortments of traditional tools and crafts, and lots of people singing and dancing. I did buy some things: A wooden mushroom, created on a hand-powered lathe, and a small bottle of Honey Liqueur, which will likely be tasty. We had lunch at the fair (I got goulash), and then we went to Nikolaikirche in Luckau.

The church is interesting; it's architecturally Gothic, but decorated in Baroque style. The pulpit was made of sandstone (not wood), and there were private boxes for the rich church-goers. There was an organ with 300 pipes, and with a fair number of original pipes still intact. We did get to enjoy its music, also. Most interesting of all was the double spiral staircase. You'd really have to see it to get a full idea of what I mean, but it was really cool.

then we went to the town center. Luckau was a trading crossroads, which explains some of the contrasting architectural designs that we saw. It was getting cold around then, so we were glad when we got to head inside for cake, coffee, and crepes. Absolutely delicious, and in great quantity. Schmaltzbrot? Not so delicious. I didn't eat this bit of cuisine, which consists of lard, onions, (and maybe fruit) spread on bread in Luckau, but I did end up having some once I got back home. My host mother insisted that I try it, since I had passed on it before. Bleh...it's not so good.

After that, we went to see the cranes that nest around Luckau. We had to climb up to the top of an observation tower to see much of anything, and then look through some binoculars (so I don't have any closeups of the cranes). I had to get down from the tower after a little bit, since it was pretty high, very crowded, and exposed. I did go back up after I walked around on the ground for a while. We got back to Berlin around 8:30, and I was home by 9. Packing for Prague ensued.

Speaking of Prague, I need to get going shortly. Here's the pictures from Luckau, if you want to see. I wont have my laptop in Prague, so it'll be a few days before my next post. As always, the pictures are slowly being uploaded to the internet.
Part 1
Part 2

1 comment:

Grandma said...

The pictures from Luckau are magnificent. what kind of a camera do you have? Each and every one of them is fabulous. I wish I were there with you.

I can just picture all these events and truly envy you the evperience. It's wonderful.

Perhaps you could get one of your classmates to get a couple of pictures of you - I wouold love that! Anyhow, you certainly are getting a grand tour of that area - do you think you shouldkeep notes on some of them so you will remember them? Then you can write a book about your experiences, maybe, some day!

Keep up the good work. get a couple pictures of your host and hostess, and yourself and put them on the blog - I love looking at the pictures. Love, again Grandma