Sunday, October 14, 2007

A walk in the park

I went to the Tiergarten today, and walked around the four sections for a couple of hours. It was really nice, to say the least. Lots of water and trees, along with the standard green common areas. There were even places where you could get a rowboat. After walking around for a while I sat down and did a little bit of homework, which was pretty relaxing. It was a good afternoon all in all. Here are the pictures from today.

I've got my hostels booked for the break, and my transportation there is all set. I've got three days in each city; I think that should be enough time for each.

This evening, Tom and I went to a Greek restaurant for dinner, and I tried Ouzo for the first time.
It's like drinking licorice - that burns on the way down. Not my favorite drink. There was also a wine that tasted somewhat like tree sap. It was different - not bad or good.

Midterms are this week, which sucks.

I'm wicked tired right now, if you can't tell by my writing. Good night everyone.

3 comments:

Grandma said...

You may get a duplicate message, since I just wrote one, and the message "website off" came on after I put it on. So I will try again.

The pictures were wonderful, but I still want to see at least one more of you! You have really having the time of your life.

You'll love Brussels. I heard from you parents, and they are enjoying themselves enormously, and the weather seems to be holding =65 or so, and mom said everyone wears scarves. Your dad is doing great with his leg, and he says it seems to be much better, so I am happy for that.

Anyhow, I am getting ready to go to London tomorrow for 7 nights, and then coming back on the QWueen Mary II, so I had better get packing. Hzave to take clothing for like two different trip - on land and sea.

Enjoy, good luck with your exams, and STAY WELL! Have a great time in Brussels. And take a picture of yourself, please! All my love, Grandma

Steph said...

Okay, so I finally signed up for comments, since I can't be "anonymous." Geez. Anyway, that's pretty cool you're going to Brussels. My brother and my mom went there! I hope you have fun. Say hello to the Manneken Pis for me! Hopefully they'll have dressed it up.

And your park pics are very pretty. You seem to be getting nice weather. Is it cold? It's still pretty warm here. (Wicked warm, even. Yes, I'm using wicked.) That is all.

Grandma said...

Loved your visit to Brussels and Amsterdam. I've been to both places and loved them both. You didn't have herring in a piece of newspaper in Amsterdam? Delicious!

I just got back yesterday from England - 7 nights in London where we walked our feet off, but had a great time - saw and did everything we wanted. We were staying at a 5 star hotel, which made it even nicer. Location was across the street from Scotland Yard in Whitehall, and we saw it all - Churchill's museum, the changing of the guards, Parliament, Trafalgar square, Harrods, etc.,etc.

The weather was 65 degrees and sunny all week - absolutely perfect weather for touring- then we went on the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton for the trip home, and I had visions of lying on a chaise lounge on deck, covered with a QM2 blanket, in the sun and relaxing and reading.

Well, it was grey and foggy and cold and very windy, so you couldn't even walk on deck. I was disappointed, but the ship was huge and absolutely magnificent - the entertainment was so-so, the activities, just o.k., and the food was very good, but really not great.

The people we met, though, were fascinating and from all over the world, and overall, we had a great, great time.

Now back to the real world. I still have to go over a basket, literally, of mail, and the house looks like a disaster, since I'm too tired to start unpacking. Oh, well, another day -

Your trips sound fantastic! and you are really seeing Europe fully. What a great opportunity!!

Loved the picture and the video, but liked your picture better clean shaven. Anyhow, do what you want, as I know you will, and a you should.

Just enjoy it all. A chance of a lifetime. All my love. Grandma